Platte South Dakota originated during the summer of 1900 after it was selected by the railroad as a branch line out of Yankton. The rail bed was completed in October 1900, with Platte as the terminus of the line.
Platte was named after Platte Creek, which was named for Bernard Pratte, an early fur trader. The last name Pratte was mistakenly transcribed on the map as Platte, and so it is generally known.
Platte attracted many people from small towns in the area and soon buildings were moved in. The first post office was moved in from Old Platte. A druggist built the first brick building and the first wood building housed a furniture and undertaking business. The Platte Enterprise newspaper was also founded in 1900 and is still published today.
The motto 'It's Possible In Platte' can be seen on the water tower and the people of Platte will testify to it's truth. We are a very progressive small town with a big heart.
During the depression years a dam was built across Platte Creek, and that area became the place for picnics and other enjoyment. The Platte-Winner bridge was completed in 1966, connecting the east with the west and opening up new trade opportunities.
Platte is located in south-central South Dakota, only 15 miles east of Lake Francis Case, a reservoir of the Missouri River
For more information on Platte, visit www.plattesd.org or call the Platte Area Chamber of Commerce at 1-888-297-8175